BBQ SALMON AND CEDAR PLANK BOX
Fish is often awkward to cook on the BBQ, it can stick to the grills and break up if you are not careful. Using cedar planks ensures easy, delicious results every time.
In this box you get:
- 1kg side of skin on, boneless salmon. Defrost thoroughly before cooking
- 2 cedar planks
For further information on the art of planking click on the Serving Suggestions tab
It is such a simple and elegant technique for cooking salmon. The fish steams gently in the heat of the grill, staying incredibly tender and moist. It also picks up smoky flavours from the cedar, along with whatever was used to soak the planks. So good.
Step By Step Guide:
1. The plank must be *pre soaked for 2 - 6 hours. This can be done in water, wine or whatever takes your fancy, beer, apple cider?
*Ocean Classic Tip: you can store your pre soaked board in a plastic bag in the freezer until you are ready to use it. Thaw by soaking in hot water for 10 minutes. Using warm water can speed up the soaking process
2. Dry the plank and lightly coat with olive oil, vegetable oil or your favourite favoured oil. Try rubbing the plank with sea salt, garlic and fresh herbs
3. Pre heat the BBQ grill for 10 minutes with the lid closed. Adjust the grill heat to medium (350-400F/180-200C) and pre heat the plank by placing it on the grill for 5 minutes
4. Place the *defrosted salmon on the plank and add spices as you wish.
*Ocean Classic Tip: use a mixture of maple syrup and oil seasoned with salt and pepper to glaze each side of the fish
5. Close the lid and cook for about 10 minutes or until the fish is flaky. Do not turn the salmon over. Keep the lid closed to retain the heat and smoky flavour
6. Check every few minutes for flare ups. If this does occur reduce the heat and use a spray bottle of water to extinguish the flames
7. Once the fish is cooked remove from the plank with a slice and move the plank off the grills. The plank can re reused several times, really until it is too charred to use again!