Smoked salmon is a great seafood ingredient, whether you’re having it as part of a main meal or if it’s the main star, it is an all time favourite! High in nutrients and full of flavour, depending on the way it is smoked or cured.
Smoking helps preserve and has been done so for many centuries. The Greek’s and Roman’s have used smoked salmon as part of celebration dishes, today it is still used for this such as appetisers for Christmas. It soon became very popular and became part of everyday food from brunch, salads to soups!
Commercial salmon fishing started to exploit the salmon resulting in numbers declining to a critical level, causing wild salmon to become virtually extinct and farmed salmon to become increasingly popular, making the price of wild salmon to increase due to the small amount available.
Smoking adds smoke to the fish and removes any moisture, helping to preserve, whereas curing is adding salt to help preserve. Smoking occurs to the fish when it is under 3 years of age, with curing happening in one of two ways: wet or dry. Most smoked salmon is cured wet; this is when the salmon is submerged into a brine (salty) solution. There is also two ways of smoking the salmon: hot or cold smoke, spices can be added to enhance the flavour of the salmon.
The flavour can come from the type of wood used during the smoking process, whether the fish has been farmed or is wild, as well as the cure used on the salmon.
- Omega 3
- Protects heart from disease
- Helps lower cholesterol
- Clearing blood vessels
- Helps joints
- Keeps eyes bright and healthy
- Boosts brain power
- Helps protect skin from UV damage
- Vitamin B12
- Healthy skin, hair and nails
- Healthy digestive system
- Turns carbohydrates to glucose for energy use
- Vitamin D
- Helps the absorption of calcium
- Calcium helps the formation of bones and teeth
- Acts as an antioxidant to protect the body against damage
- Regulates blood pressure
- Healthy immune system
- Helps form, maintain body tissue including bone, muscle, cartilage, skin and blood
- Found in all red blood cells and helps the muscles function properly
- Helps with energy production as well as muscle and nerve function.
- Helps the nerve and muscle function
- Balances the sugar levels in blood
- Helps with sleep regulation, just to name a few!
- Smoked salmon is very high in salt and should be eaten in moderation
Ocean Classic Smoked Salmon Products
Methods of Cooking